Re: [DOCS] Re: New logo PostreSQL

От Henry B. Hotz
Тема Re: [DOCS] Re: New logo PostreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
At 3:54 PM -0800 1/12/99, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> http://www.parc.xerox.com
>>   simple look, but very dynamic action
>>   (scrappy, run your mouse across the menus)
>
>I didn't like this.  Too much white space, did not spread across page.
>The mouse thing was too distracting for me.

Dynamic action is an interesting concept, but nothing useful was done with
it.  The stuff on the right should have just been deleted or else replaced
with a simple logo.

Also it takes too long to load.  (JPL has dual T3's.  It ain't my modem.)

>> http://www.netbsd.org
>>   nice and clean. Cute logo :)
>
>I didn't like this.  Not enough color, too much stuff on the page.

I kind of like the design, but I don't think the headings and organization
are clear/informative enough.  I have a hard time finding what I want and
*I* *use* *NetBSD*.

>> http://www.mulberrytech.com
>>   green and white (with a bit of blue) suprisingly nice look
>
>Nice look.

Agree.  There may be about as much real stuff as the other sites have, but
it doesn't look busy or cluttered at all.  The simple color scheme makes it
easier on the eyes than most web sites.  Very elegant!

>> http://www.w3.org
>>   nice clean logo and look. Too many links on page
>
>Not sure.  Didn't grab me.

Not as good as Mulberrytech, but not bad.  Probably too many links, but
maybe they could have been grouped somehow?

>> http://www.javasoft.com
>>   nice look. Currently has a dumb truck graphic...
>
>Too much stuff/scroll. No spread.

Takes *way* too long to load.  Only barely avoids overusing color in places.

This one looks to me like the designer was told to use every trick in the
book once on the page.  He knew it was a bad idea and did the best he
could, but the result still lacks unity.  Seriously, I suspect this page of
being designed by committee.

In summary:  let's not let our (obvious) interest in the technology obscure
the real information we are trying to communicate.  A simple design without
any gaffes will avoid distracting from that information.  Maybe it won't
get anyone a promotion to head of the art department, but that's not our
goal.

Book recommendation:  The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, by
Edward R. Tufte.  (From memory, hope I got it right.)

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Re: New logo PostreSQL
От: Nick Bastin
Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Re: New logo PostreSQL